What’s the best nickname is the NBA? Is it King James? Black Mamba? The Beard? The Big Fundamental? Absolutely not. The answer? Swaggy P. So why does Nick Young have the best nickname in the Association? Because there is no nickname in the league that better encapsulates a persona more than Swaggy P.
Let us take you through the reasons why the nickname Swaggy P is beyond apropos for the Los Angeles Lakers newest Shooting Guard.
1. He crashes Pakistani Weddings because he feels like it.
2. He wears clothes that say Swaggy P on it. I don’t necessarily know the origins of the nickname, but if then nickname was self-given it makes it approximately 2,000% better.
3. Swaggy P’s shot selection may be the most irresponsible in the league. The only other players in the league that are as irrationally confident as Nick Young are J.R. Smith and Monta Ellis. Wait, I feel a Power Ranking coming on.
NBA Irrational Confidence Power Rankings
- J.R. Smith
- Nick Young
- Monta Ellis
- Jamal Crawford
- Nate Robinson
- Jason Terry
- Tyreke Evans
- Josh Smith
- Brandon Jennings
- J.R. Smith Again
Seriously, Nick Young has never seen an outside jump shot, or any shot for that matter, that he didn’t love. What does that give him? Swag! With Kobe Bryant sidelined for the beginning of the regular season, a heavy shooting load will fall in to the somewhat capable arms of Swaggy P. Young is going to easily shoot the ball 20-25 times a game when Kobe isn’t in the lineup and will make or break many games for the Lakers early in the season. There will be times he will shoot the Lakers back in to games and times where he will cost the Lakers victories.
4. Swaggy P absolutely loves to have a good time. Whether it is wild-n-out on Vine, playing Paintball with JaVale McGee , or giving fantastic post-game interviews Nick Young certainly knows how to put on a show for the camera. I couldn’t be any more excited to see Nick get into full “Swaggy P Mode” for the Lakers All-Access show on Time Warner Cable SportsNet.
5. Nick Young will wear the number 0 this season. Is there any number with more swag than number 0? Ok maybe 23 and 24 but you get the point.
The interesting thing about Nick Young this season is that a lot of pressure is going to fall on his shoulders, especially early in the season. There is no doubt that Young has the potential to shine in the Mike D’Antoni (aka Pringles) system this season. He will be asked to space the floor well and knock down perimeter shots. Fortunately for the Lakers, Young’s best assets are spacing and shooting. It will be interesting to see if Young can adapt to the system when Kobe Bryant comes back in to the fold. Additionally, if Young can find add the ability to pick-and-roll effectively with Pau Gasol he may find himself getting to the charity stripe a ton this season where he has a career percentage of 82.7. Regardless of whether he plays well or not, Swaggy P will bring life and energy to the Lakers roster. That, in of itself, will be welcomed by Laker fans everywhere.